Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: Howarth and McLaren, Street Photography Now, Thames and Hudson, 2010


As this book is several years old and a number of reviews can be found here and there across the internet, there is not much new to say about it.  I can confirm the accolades afforded in many of these reviews.  I don’t have a huge collection of photo books, and I haven’t yet seen a dedicated street photography book outside of this volume, which is to say my opinion about street photography books is not well informed.  However, this volume strikes me as an excellent printed introduction.  It ably demonstrates the range of approaches and subject matter:  b&w and color, people and things, candid and composed.

The book contains over 300 images from 46 photographers, most of whom I had never heard of.  Unlike many of the surveys of street photography I have read, which tend to focus on the historical centers of London, Paris, and NY, this volume features selections from most parts of the world, though Africa is notably absent.

I was curious to note Dubai included as one of the modern centers of street photography, though only a single artist is featured, Frederic Lezmi.  One of his books has been published in cooperation with a local gallery and in search of it I sent an email inquiring if it was still in stock.  As is so common here, there has been no reply.  

Another photographer that piqued my interest is Osama Kanemura. Unfortunately, his work is released in tiny amounts, books of less than 50 pages, that sell for US$100 or more.  So, I won’t be buying any of his work soon.  I did, though, find a good selection in an online gallery here.

There is much more to explore within these pages and much to learn by example.  I borrowed this from the university library and may even buy a copy so I have it always close to hand.  

#

No comments:

Post a Comment