Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I don't wish to deconstruct your vision

The postmodern in photography didn't much resonate until recent reading in The Education of a Photographer.  What struck me were repeated expressions, in regard to questions of intention, of a desire to trick the viewer, to make the audience question what was being viewed and how it constructed meaning from the viewing.

For example, Vic Muniz says:
“I don’t want the viewer to believe in my images; I want him or her to experience the extent of his or her own belief in images—period. That can only be done with images that can easily be taken for granted.”

Penelope Umbrico:
“So, really my practice in photography was born out of a problematic relationship to painting, where I was interested in destabilizing the viewers’ expectations of painting as much as those of photography”

Randy Weston:
“I’ve chosen objects that may not seem initially recognizable as photographic. I think this is why my imagery is perceived as paintings. We are familiar with the language of abstract painting. However once a viewer knows my imagery is photographic the question becomes, what did I photograph.”

“I like the questioning of the photograph because it makes our minds switch our perception, or our reading, of what we’ re looking at.”

Sarah Charlesworth
“Many of my series explore the architecture of ideas or icons by isolating images or fragments of images from their customary context in order to see how they give shape or form to attitudes or points of view”

These photographers want, in other words, to use images to initiate discussion on the structure and use of images.  They are less interested in the subject as and for itself, and more about what, how and why it denotes.

I've seen the same in other forms of art - film, literature, music - and while something especially clever might get my attention and give me cause for reflection, I'm not interested in a steady diet of such material.  I read books and watch films and listen to music and look at photographs for an immersive experience, to fall into that space where I lose awareness of awareness.

As a photographer, I think I am much the same.  I don't take photos to challenge viewers to deconstruct the viewing and meaning-making process. I take photos of things that catch my eye, that look interesting, that I think might make an interesting or attractive image.  Perhaps I haven't been engaged long enough in focused photographic work and such concerns may emerge from continued research, image making, and interactions with fellow image-makers.

#

No comments:

Post a Comment