Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reflection on "The Art of Photography"

The following was written as an enclosure with my assessment package.

I've just reread My History of Photography, one of my early blog posts outlining my photography experience as well as my interests in joining the OCA.  What strikes me is the naivete.   By taking this course it seems I thought I could produce a portfolio suitable for a graduate program in photography.   While I've produced work on this course that isn't embarrassing, I don’t know if I’m ready yet for a Masters in Fine Art. 

The past year has taught me a number of things.  I've learned to see the whole frame, and not just my subject.  I've learned to think about (thought I can’t say I always know) what I want to capture.   I've learned how to conceptualize and execute a project.  I've developed more respect for light and color.  I've learned Lightroom and some post-processing skills.  I now have a monitor profiling routine and have started wrestling with printing.   Through the process of having to produce assignments, and not through any deliberate planning, I have developed a workflow.  I have engaged with the local photographic community.  I have developed the habit of shooting regularly and as a result have grown more confident in my vision and ability.   And I have begun reading, thinking, and writing about photography. 

Altogether it has been a marvelous experience and I look forward to growing and developing in my skills in my next course, Digital Photographic Practice. 

But before I get started there, I need to clarify something here.


Perhaps because I was eager to get started with the exercises, to get down to the business of taking photos, I didn't pay as much attention to the formalities of the course as I should have.  One thing I missed out on was the process of assignment submission, feedback, revision, and assessment.  Initially I assumed each assignment would be assessed by the tutor as it was submitted.   I didn't realize many students were revising as they progressed from assignment to assignment.  Since my tutor never suggested redoing an assignment, I assumed what I had produced was suitable and needed only a bit of tweaking, which I could get around to at my convenience.  In the meantime, I moved on with my exercises and assignments – and here I am now at the end.  In other words, I didn't do any revision until all five assignments had been submitted to and returned by the tutor. 

This was perhaps not a bad strategy.  Having spent a solid week revising five assignments, I can understand the advantage of spreading out the work, not to mention being able to tap into the creative mind that first birthed the work.  On the other hand, revising everything at the end provides a wider perspective, the ability to view one’s work with a bit more detachment, and a clearer sense development over time.   


No comments:

Post a Comment