Saturday, April 20, 2013

Getting to Know the Sony RX100

After a bit of research I decided on the Sony RX100 as my pocket-camera.  Nothing wrong with the Nikon I've been using the past year except for the sometimes inconvenient size.  I wanted something easily portable and a little less conspicuous.  I am also interested in the landscape feature on the new pockets and look forward to using this during my upcoming summer travels. What follows is an exercise in getting to know the camera, something I picked up from a Better Photography course.  And what a better way to get to know something new than by comparing to something you already know.  What follows is a comparison with my Nikon D5100.














Perhaps the most noticeable differences between the two cameras are size, weight, and the lack of a viewfinder on the Sony.  None of this is in the chart as it seemed to obvious to include.

Another difference of note is the sensor size.  The Nikon is a bit bigger, but the Sony offers more detail in megapixels.  The Sony also has multiple aspect ratios (which at this point I don't see myself using), and double the number of focal points (about which I'm not sure if this is useful or not).

The Nikon offers a greater ranger of shutter speeds and faster continuous speeds in normal continuous modes.  The Nikon also offers WB bracketing and more shots per battery charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment