Saturday, February 7, 2015

P&P: Exercise 3: Light

It's been too long since I last posted an exercise.  There were many excuses for doing so but won't go into them here.  Suffice to say I feel I've been stuck and in order to get unstuck I need to post whatever I've got and build up a little momentum.  Since all the stuff for the first assignment isn't included in the course mark, I feel more free to post less than what I'm happy with on the chance that I'll get back into a regular groove.

This exercise calls for four to six head-and-shoulder images of the same model under different lighting conditions in order to demonstrate the effect of light on the face. As I don't have a model to drag around town, I shot myself using the Nikon D5100 with remote release.

The photos here are much like those I did for an assignment for a previous course: http://freedomtolook.blogspot.ae/2013/05/assignment-four-applying-lighting.html

(Outtake:  800is0, 5.6, 0.8)



1600iso, 5.3, 1/60
Focus is somewhat soft and image contains quite a lot of noise as shot indoor at 1600iso, mid-afternoon light through blinds, no electric lighting or flash.  Soft focus, though, reduces contrast and hides some the skin details, such as large pores and blemishes.  Radial filter used to burn out the corners and accentuate the white v.











1600iso, 5.6, 1/10
Same day, different room, all natural light through wall-high window, with the obvious exception of computer light. Also shot at 1600 but compared with above there is also less shadow and less noise.  Small amount of shadow behind each nasal and in each ear. But we also find reflection off the glasses and harder focus revealing more detail in the skin.











1600iso, 5.6, 1/2
Next day, indoors, small morning light through blinds right, overhead room light and spot light behind, and a reflector held in lap below to clear away some of the under chin shadow.  Back light provides a nice halo effect around the ears.  Slightly softer look to skin as less direct light and therefore little shadow or contrast.











100iso, 13, 1/640
Clear sky at 10:00 am, 30 floors up on the roof of my apartment building, sun perhaps 20 degrees right.  Deep shadows thrown across face by glasses and nose, across the neck and shoulder by head.  Bit of shine of top of forehead.


#

No comments:

Post a Comment