Friday, October 11, 2013

The lurid colors


Lijiang at Night This is the old town of Lijiang, China, where I spent the week with Tom Anderson (the MySpace guy).  I think I mentioned him before.  Anyway, we got to be friends over the past several months, and we ended up spending a week together here in the south of China.Tom had first been here many years ago when he was setting up the MySpace office in Beijing.  He had great memories, and he thought it would be great for a big return now that he is getting more into photography.  So, it was definitely a week full of non-stop photography action.One late night after the sun had set, we weaved through the old streets until we found this place.  Looking up, I knew it would be a wonderful place to take a photo, so I set up for this one.- Trey RatcliffClick here to read the rest of this post at the Stuck in Customs blog.

Further to a post I made a couple weeks back in regards to a local photographer's use of color, I ran into much the same yesterday while pursuing an article about camera trends and the possible demise of the DSLR.  The blogger is a well-known travel photographer who makes the kind of photos equivalent to black-light posters, full of bright, saturated, almost neon-like color.  The popularity of his blog and his ability to sell images suggest many people like this kind of imagery.  To me it seems insistent, pushing the limits of visual intensity.  There's nothing subtle or understated, nothing to draw you in, just a club to clobber you over the head. 



No comments:

Post a Comment