Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Planning an exhibit

I never thought I would write the words in the title of this blog post about myself.  From time to time I come back to the idea of my plans for summer 2014.  I typically have eight weeks holiday, a fairly good stretch of time for which plans are required. Without them you end up idling and not doing very much of anything,  Sometimes its good to do just that - for perhaps a week.  Eight weeks is far too long to be web surfing and watching movies.

This past summer I did a photography project at an Indian hospital.  I think I'd like to do something photographic this coming summer, and so I keep coming back to this idea to see what other ideas might emerge.  One that came to me last night is an exhibit of my SZR photos.  This might be of interest to a few people in the Atlanta area.  It would have the value of presenting a non-glamorous, documentary view of one small corner of the city. This raises a number of questions:  which photos to present, how many, in what format, in what location - gallery, cafe, community center, home?

The problem with presenting on walls is the cost of printing and especially framing.  One option is to look into less expensive options and also to think about how the images should be presented. I think work better as a group, each image relating to a larger picture.  One option would be to print large collages, or possibly as a collection of post cards, perhaps with some kind of movable presentation that allows visitors to rearrange images - assuming anyone might be interested in that kind of thing. They could also be presented in a series of photo books, but getting people to look at a book is not quite the same thing as having them show up for an exhibit.  Perhaps a few images could be hung, and the remainder made available as books and/or postcards.


No comments:

Post a Comment