Saturday, October 11, 2014

P&P: Exercise 1: Scale and Setting



I signed up for P&P in July.  I finally took my first portrait yesterday.  It has taken me that long to find someone I felt comfortable asking.

VJ is a nice guy, easily approachable, and I felt if anyone would agree it would be him.  He didn't exactly jump at the chance, but he agreed, and I got my first images.  While photographing he appeared self-conscious.  Other people were around and may have noticed.  The same was true of SH.  I've seen him about before, but I don’t believe we've ever spoken.  I approached and chatted him up a bit, flattered him on his dress, and then asked if I could take his photo.  Here is a good reason I don’t like this:  I would never have mentioned his appearance except as an inducement to get him to agree to being photographed.  Not that I was dishonest about his appearance,  I genuinely did appreciate it.  But it's not something I typically mention to anyone.  SH laughed nervously and ignored my request.  He relented after I requested a second time, but he was obviously uncomfortable, perhaps especially so as three women were off to the left chatting and paying attention.

However - after showing the images to the subjects, they both asked for copies!  Hopefully they will approve of the processed results.



As for shooting, I didn't really -do- very much technically.  We looked around for a suitable background and I asked the subjects to pose in whatever way they were comfortable. The RX100 was set to Program at 100 ISO.  To get close-ups I used the zoom function, principally for two reasons:  to avoid distortion and to not make the subject nervous by getting so close. For mid and full body shots I backed up and then used the zoom as need to establish the appropriate frame.  I chatted to the subjects while I shot so as to make us both less self-conscious.  Chatting also helps give some movement to the facial features (and might lead to learning something interesting:  VJ told me his family has no camera).   I took 12 captures of the first subject, 11 of the second.

Processing also introduced a bit of flattery.  Besides adding vibrancy and contrast, I also whitened teeth and sclera, and increased vibrancy and sharpness to the iris.  I didn't go as far as smoothing skin, or removing blemishes or hairs.  My personal preference is for straight photos, but I feel these small modifications are necessary to insure a future supply of subjects, as well as to make my friends and acquaintances happy.


I read the notes so long ago that I misremembered them.  I thought I was supposed to produce a set of three images ;  head, torso, and full-body.  I should have done four.  I anticipate doing more of these, so will add a fourth on the next shoot.

As for how viewers react to the various framings, the head and shoulders is probably the most intimate.  The distance represented here is close to that of actually meeting the person.  It's unlikely we would get any closer unless we were family. The eyes are more clearly visible and have been properly adjusted to add even more pulling power.  VJ's image will be more attractive still as his gaze meets that of the viewer.  The full body shots are perhaps more revealing of cultural norms via clothing styles:  all white, western/eastern (dhoti and slacks), barefoot.

#


03 Nov 2014

After any number of issues, I finally got around to taking more photos at the temple, this time as per the specification of the exercise.  






I didn't do much besides get my subject to stand in the required spot.  He was reluctant but quite relaxed once he was in front of the camera.

#

No comments:

Post a Comment