Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Monitor Profiling

I've now entered the murky world of color adjustment and monitor profiling.

My tutor has requested prints for Assignment 3.  Last week I had three trial prints made at a local Kodak Express printer.  The results were both exciting and disappointing.  It's been so long since I had images printed that holding a photograph I had labored over was thrilling.  The color and brightness, though, were not what I expected and when I got home and compared the print to the computer screen image, the differences were notable.  Overall the prints were less bright and less vibrant than what appeared on screen.  I suppose this is because computer screen default settings use higher brightness and contrast.

My tutor had recommended monitor profiling some time ago.  I requested additional guidance, but I guess he was busy because I never got a reply.  I did a little research myself and plonked down for a Spyder4 Elite, which I ran for the first time this morning.

I've been using this monitor at the uncalibrated settings for eight months, so my mind is quite adjusted to this view.  The calibrated screen looks a bit orangey and in relation to the prints is still a bit brighter.  My wife's monitor is the same - brighter and with more punch.

Is it typical to over-expose on the computer screen in order to get a properly exposed print?

#



No comments:

Post a Comment