Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lightroom Follow-up



This post follows on from the previous, looking at set-up issues in Lightroom.  Since arriving back in Dubai a couple weeks ago I've spent most of my photography time playing around with the software, first with Adobe's training manual, and then on a little project.


I decided to create one Catalog file, keeping in mind I can create another should the need arise.  As yet I don't have such a huge collection of images so I should be able to manage all within a single Catalog.  I created the Catalog in the Documents folder of my C drive and purchased a 1TB external drive to which I am transferring all my archived photos.

I was hoping to learn more about LR in the last couple weeks, but its a slow process.  I found covering the manual chapter by chapter wasn't effective.  The opening chapter giving an overview of the program and its most commonly used features was helpful, but after that I found I was practicing tasks out of context.  Without working on my own photos with a real objective in mind, I felt like I was just going through the motions.

So I set to work on a group of photos I collected this summer, images of my mother's neighborhood.  When I got stuck, I simply googled my problem and found several websites with explanations. I was able to import and develop the photos in LR, but switched over to Picasa to do the collages as that process looked a bit labor intensive in LR.  I also felt like I'd spent enough time working with this set of images and that it was to get back to the course exercises.

Those photos can be found here.

I've shot quite a few photos for the vertical/horizontal exercise and hope to get them posted later in the week.

Thanks for looking.

#


No comments:

Post a Comment